fs driver

adr mtd at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 16:37:32 EDT 2002

I recently wrote a driver module for the Sega Dreamcast flash (see
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/linuxdc/linux-sh-dc/drivers/mtd/maps/vmu-flash.c?rev=1.11&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
) and now I am attempting to write a file system driver for the vmu's
proprietary filesystem (file system described here:
http://mc.pp.se/dc/vms/flashmem.html, code written so far here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/linuxdc/linux-sh-dc/fs/vmuflash-fs.c?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
).

Now the code written so far essentially does what the mtdblock driver did/does
when used on the Dreamcast (though my code is not as sophisticated) - for
which thanks - and that is not a surprise as large chunks of my code are
essentially copied over from the mtdblock driver.

But I want to do more - mount the filesystem basically - but I am rather at
see as I don't really understand concepts such as superblocks and so on.

I wonder if someone might point me towards some code/a site/a mailing list/a
book that tells me what I need to know about building a filesystem for 'nix.

I have the O'Reilly Linux Device Drivers and Understanding the Linux Kernel
but they appear to be either too simplistic or too ext2 specific to be very
useful (at least on first reading).

Adrian