recommended Filesystem for DoC?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Sep 15 03:55:44 EDT 2002

elf at buici.com said:
>  I've been looking into something similar.  Presently, I use ext3
> because I have enough space space for a 1M journal.  However, I don't
> recommend this.  I've been considering using cloop (KNOPPIX) because
> it doesn't require a ramdisk and then installing JFFS as the root
> filesystem.  This means that the static part is always compressed and
> mounted at boot time.

Yeah. Using a journalling pseudo-filesystem to emulate a block device, and
having to set aside a hunk of the space it provides for journalling of a
'normal' file system, is crazy. IMHO, you only have an excuse for pretending
that flash is a block device if you're still running DOS.

The JFFS2 NAND support is almost complete -- just a few corner cases to be
fixed up. AFAIK it should work on DoC without too much trouble -- after
all, a DoC is just a bunch of NAND flash chips.

--
dwmw2