DOC 2000 and GRUB

Mark Meade mark at lakeshoremicro.com
Fri Sep 6 08:33:13 EDT 2002

Mateo Anderson wrote:
> Is this modified version comitted in the cvs?

No, I just started experimenting (with Grub) yesterday.  Things appear to be
working great on the DoC Millennium, but I haven't done enough testing to be
confident enough to submit a patch.

> >I'm guessing that many problems are caused by having the nftl
> >module loaded during a fdisk, nftl_format, and/or doc_loadbios.
>
> Are you referring to kernel modules?
> If so, I have these build in (no modules), as suggested by
> DOC and GRUB HOW-TO.

Yes.  I'm thinking about revising the how-to to suggest using modules for the
development system, and built-in for the kernel booting from the DoC.
Alternatively, you could use the built-in stuff all the time, but make sure
to reboot often:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2002-June/005123.html

Wolfgang Denk submitted a patch to address this problem; it sounds like it
would eliminate the need to reboot:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2002-August/005831.html

Being able to use DFORMAT to install GRUB and do the NFTL format eliminates
the need to use both doc_loadbios and nftl_format, and should make the choice
of built-in or module irrelevant.  However, Wolfgang's patch still seems to a
very good idea.

> Steps:
> 1) Boot DOS and use DFORMAT 5.x to format the DOC, with
>    the appropriate space for the GRUB firmware (check the
>    size of the stage1 file).
> 2) Boot to Linux, use the doc_loadbios to load the GRUB
>    firmware (or use DFORMAT - what parameters??).
> 3) Format the /dev/nftla.
> 4) Copy everything to the /dev/nftla1.
> 5) Boot from DOC.
>
> Is this correct?

Close.  I've been doing the following (with some Grub modifications):

1) dformat /win:xxxx /BDKF0:grub_firmware

Use dformat 5.x to install grub, and the NFTL format.  You'll end up with one
FAT partition on the DoC.  This eliminates the need to use "doc_loadbios" and
"nftl_format".

2) It's necessary (on my PC) to turn it off, rather than just rebooting.  The
howto explains why this is required.

3) boot to Linux, fdisk, mke2fs, copy everything to /dev/nftla1

4) boot from DoC