No more DoC hotplug on Grub fail [tested & working]

Karim Yaghmour karim at opersys.com
Wed Sep 4 11:59:40 EDT 2002

Mark,

Mark Meade wrote:
> I tested your Grub patch on a DoC Millennium, it works fine.

Great. I'm glad someone else can confirm that it works.

>  I used the 0.92
> patch, but I had to reduce the length of some of the text messages to make
> everything fit.  This may have been the gas 2.9.5 problem you described
> earlier.

True.

> This patch, while potentially useful during debugging, takes up precious
> space that may be needed later (to add support for new flash devices, etc).
> Also, once Grub is booting correctly from the DoC, I would think this feature
> would not be needed.
>
> For what it's worth, I'd recommend that this patch be made available in the
> patches directory of the CVS tree, rather than making it part of the official
> GRUB code.

This is one way of looking at it. However, it seems that this then enforces
a policy on the way developers use their hardware. Providing it as part of
the official GRUB and having it disabled by default would provide a capability
without enforcing a policy. A developer could then pass the
"--enable-doc-check-keybrd" option to "configure" in order to activate the
keyboard detection. This should be fairly easy to implement since all the
added code is enclosed in "#ifdef KEYBRD_READ" statements.

> I'm willing to revise my GRUB/DoC HOWTO to include instructions on the use of
> this patch, for those who are concerned about this issue.

A mention of any alternatives to the DOC hotplug would certainly be great.

Karim

                 Karim Yaghmour
               karim at opersys.com
      Embedded and Real-Time Linux Expert