MTD Config.in items not escaped by bus availability

Brian J. Murrell 23e66ee85dd6f572f5e9fdbfa506bf85 at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Oct 30 14:38:34 EST 2002

[ I dunno if this will make it to the list or not as I seem to be
getting bounced from list postings, most likely in the name of spam
prevention.  What the spammers have done to our Internet!  ~sigh~ ]

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:55:07PM +0100, Jörn Engel wrote:

> NOR flashes are basically ram sans write access. You can connect them
> to the memory bus, execute code directly from those. And I know of no
> system without a memory bus that linux is running on. ;-)

As I wrote to Jamey, and got a bounce back from the linux-mtd list,
Linux does run on a "system" without a memory bus.  UML, is linux in a
user-space process.  It has no access to any hardware directly.  It
does a pretty good job of isolating itself from trying to build
hardware drivers, as long as the drivers are connected to "bus"es in
the kernel configuration system.

He also did point out that MTDs can be attached to memory buses, and
unless I have missed it, the linux kernel configuration system does
not recognize memory buses as a device which needs to be explicitly
configured.  Perhaps it should be, such that MTDs could be dealt with
in a manner such as:

if [ "$CONFIG_MEMORY_BUS" = "y" -o
     "$CONFIG_SOME_OTHER_BUS" = "y" -o
     "$CONFIG_YET_ANOTHER_BUS" = "y" ]; then
     <ask about CONFIG_MTD>
fi

and UML kernels and undef CONFIG_MEMORY_BUS.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell