mtdblock_ro and ext2 yields panic: block not locked

William A. Gatliff bgat at billgatliff.com
Wed Oct 23 11:49:57 EDT 2002

Guys:

I'm running linux-2.4.18-mips on an Au1500 board with an AMD AM29LV642
flash.  I'm using the readonly block driver and a partitioned flash.
The mtdblock_ro.c file has "mtdblock_ro.c,v 1.9" at the top.

I've been tinkering with mounting ext2 and romfs root filesystems at
boot from my mtdblock0 partition.  I seem to be able to mount romfs
fine, but when I use ext2, I get this:

ttyS03 at 0xb1400000 (irq = 3) is a 16550
mtdblock_open
ok
mtdblock_open
ok
mtdblock_release
ok
Freeing unused kernel memory: 192k freed
Kernel panic: mtdblock: block not locked

The panic comes via the INIT_REQUEST macro in mtdblock_request, but
only after half a dozen requests or so.  The requests appear to be
associated with the execve at the end of the kernel boot process.

I also get this with yesterday's CVS.

Ideas?  I don't think this is an MTD problem per se, but I'm stumped
nonetheless.

Thanks!

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
I'm an embedded GNU developer first, GNU instructor second.