SmartMedia Card need to create fs before mounting it ?

shadow saturn at structure.biochem.nchu.edu.tw
Mon Nov 25 16:42:14 EST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, John Hall wrote:
Thank your advice!

I don't understand what difference between /dev/mtd/x and /dev/mtdblock/x
?
I just know if I configured "CONFIG_MTD_CHAR=y", will get /dev/mtd/x
and if configured "CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK=y", will get /dev/mtdblock/x.
So I think mtd/x are char devices and mtdblock/x are block devices, but
which one link to SmartMedia card ? Can we both use mtd/x and mtdblock/x
to accss SmartMedia ?

I used eraseall to erase /dev/mtd/6, it shown following messages..
----
<---------skip above
eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7f4000 -- 99 % complete.
eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7f8000 -- 99 % complete.
eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7fa000 -- 99 % complete.
eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
Erasing 8 Kibyte @ 7fe000 -- 99 % complete.
eraseall: /dev/mtd/6: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
Erased 8192 Kibyte @ 0 -- 100% complete.

It indicated I/O error that I don't what's up.

Best regards,
Brian Lee