GRUB

Henrik Nordstrom hno at marasystems.com
Mon Nov 25 05:09:35 EST 2002

If you used doc_loadbios to install GRUB and the binary partition
(before the NFTL disk on the flash) was smaller than your GRUB image
then doc_loadbios overwrote the NFTL table of the DOC flash.

The safest way to install the GRUB "bios" on a DOC is to use mSys
DFORMAT 5.x from DOS. But this requires a version of the GRUB DOC patch
which is compatible with DFORMAT 5.x (there is a small undocumented
difference in the NFTL header between DFORMAT 4.x and 5.x). The
grub-2002-10-08-doc.patch should work I think. Earlier GRUB patches
won't work.

The alternative way is to use doc_loadbios and nftl_format from Linux
but you will then need to calculate all the offsets manually IIRC, and
there reportedly is critical issues if you have the NFTL Linux driver
loaded while doing this.

Regards
Henrik