mtd2 partition mapping on mtd1?...

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Tue Nov 5 08:28:19 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 November 2002 11:42:14 +0000, vijay vijay wrote:
> The fact that am hardcoding my root fs address in cramfs_read
> instead of picking it up from mtd0(which am able to operate on after
> bootup) still bothers me. Any (better) way of telling the kernel to
> pick rootfs from mtd0?. Have tried with root=/dev/mtd0.
> Am building an initrd image.

Even though mtd is quite another beast, you need a block device when
mounting an fs. Try root=/dev/mtdblock0.

If this does not work, edit init/main.c or init/do_mounts.c (depending
on kernel version). Look for root_dev_names and add your
/dev/mtdblock? to that array.

> One more query:
> My kernel and another partition will have raw data. What api's to
> operate on them?. Tried __raw_writel etc., but that doesn't seem
> to change the flash location data.

I don't really understand this question. Do you want to operate from
user space or kernel space? Do you want to read, write or move the
data?

Jörn

--
You can't tell where a program is going to spend its time. Bottlenecks
occur in surprising places, so don't try to second guess and put in a