Problems with GRUB & nftl_format

Mark Meade mark at lakeshoremicro.com
Mon Nov 4 08:35:55 EST 2002

Is the nftl driver part of your kernel, or compiled as a module?  Bad things
can happen if the nftl driver is loaded when nftl_format is run:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2002-June/005123.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2002-August/005831.html

As Henrik mentioned, you could try the 5.x dformat utility (under DOS) to
install Grub and format the DoC.  After that, the normal Linux tools (fdisk,
mke2fs, etc) can be used to partition and create the filesystem.

The other alternative is to compile the MTD code as modules, and make sure
nftl is not loaded when running nftl_format.

See http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2002-October/006166.html
for details on both methods.

Regards,

Mark