Grub Booting Disk On Chip

Bob Chiodini Robert.Chiodini-1 at ksc.nasa.gov
Fri May 31 06:33:02 EDT 2002

I found the code in stage2.c that attempts to load from the DOC.  At
about line 1009, I changed the following:

                  is_opened = find_config(0xE0);
//                is_opened = find_config(saved_drive);

It seems safe since this code is inside of an #ifdef BDEV_DISKONCHIP.

I haven't determined where "saved_drive" is getting setup, or why it is
not set to 0xe0, but forcing it seems to work.

Bob...

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 11:48, Ilguiz Latypov wrote:
    Bob,

    On 30 May 2002, Bob Chiodini wrote:

    > root (dc0,0)
    > configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > At this point a get a menu with the second entry highlighted.  Hitting
    > enter boots from /dev/hda1.  /dev/hda1 is the only disk on the system.

    Does GRUB show unsuccessful attempts to load /boot/grub/menu.lst from the
    disk 0xE0 before going to interactive mode?

    Also, the fact that menu.lst is a symbolic link could confuse the stripped
    down ext2 filesystem driver of GRUB.  Can you remove the link and create a
    regular configuration file?

    > It looks like DS is saved as the address of the DOC, if it is not a
    > Millenium DOC.

    Oops, you are right.  In fact, the read-only initial program loader of DoC
    2000 will copy the firmware from the flash memory to 0x2000:0 before
    jumping there with the DS segment pointing to the DoC BIOS window.  Here
    is the David's comment in the patch:

            * With DoC 2000, _start is loaded at 0x20000 by the IPL,
            * and is jumped to with CS:IP 0x2000:0, DS is <DoC segment>.

    Later DS is stored in %cs:doc_seg where %cs holds the segment at the end
    of conventional RAM.

--
Bob Chiodini
Sr. Communications Engineer