Grub Booting Disk On Chip

Bob Chiodini Robert.Chiodini-1 at ksc.nasa.gov
Thu May 30 11:25:38 EDT 2002

Ilguiz,

Yes, the "default" entry boots from 0x80 (hda1).  I had to do the
following to get test that:

At the grub prompt:

root (dc0,0)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

At this point a get a menu with the second entry highlighted.  Hitting
enter boots from /dev/hda1.  /dev/hda1 is the only disk on the system.

I assume that the BIOS is supposed to pass the CS with the absolute
segment of the BIOS extension.  Is this handled at the beginning of
doc_stage1.S?  It looks like DS is saved as the address of the DOC, if
it is not a Millenium DOC.

Bob...

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 10:59, Ilguiz Latypov wrote:
    On 30 May 2002, Bob Chiodini wrote:

    > 1.  I get "DoC 2000 at D600".  The DOC is really at D000.

    Weird.  Looks like BIOS calls DoC 2000 firmware with a different value of
    Command Segment register.  I don't know if addressing D000:0 by offsetting
    the D600 segment with a different value of IP register is possible.

    > default=1
    > [...]
    > 2.  I get several messages about GRUB trying to find
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst.  None of the messages indicate drive 0xE0.

    Does the "default" parameter in menu.lst makes GRUB attempt to load the
    second entry which refers to the disk 0x80?

    Ilguiz