Getting big flash onto motherboards. Will CF work? what will?

john riehl jr at i-bucks.com
Fri May 17 14:08:28 EDT 2002

At 10:08 AM 5/17/02 -0700, Russ Dill wrote:

>> Are there other options? These are 1U or .8U spaces most likely, and so a
>> big PCI card is out of the question -- that's needed for Myrinet. There
>> are no ISA slots. There are two IDE headers, and possibly a SCSI header. A
>> very low profile PCI card might work. The only option I was aware of was
>> IDE->CF adapaters. Is there something else I should look at?
>
>there are DOC devices that plug into IDE

These are called DiskonModule  (as opposed to diskonchip).

They come in both 40 and 44 pin connections.  They arent very big, they
look like a terminator.  Most are flat, like a hard drive (but much shorter
& smaller), some have an L-shape.

I have seen them at a lot of trade shows (comdex, etc.).   Inside the front
cover of my copy of processor magazine, there is an ad for them from
www.pqiusa.com.

The idea is that they act like an ide hard drive.   I havent used one.  I
dont know what needs to be done, driver-wise, to actually use one.

jr
john riehl