2.4.18-howto?

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Tue May 7 13:34:30 EDT 2002

Hi Robert,

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 06:16:10PM +0200, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> > I need the ADNP concaternation layer stuff...
>
> Does this part cause any specific trouble ? (if so, which ?)

Yes, it doesn't work yet :-)

# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
#

This is also interesting, during boot:
DIL/Net ADNP flash: 0x400000 at 0x2000000
FLASH virtual address: 0xc180d000
CFI: Found no ADNP Flash Bank device at location zero

> > Yes, but it is nearly one year old.
>
> .. which doesn't necessarily mean it's outdated...

<quote>
This document will attempt to describe setting up the MTD (Memory
Technology Devices), DOC, CFI and the JFFS (Journaling Flash File System)
under Linux versions 2.2.x and 2.4.x
</quote>

According to what I've read on the list it looks like it is currently more
like for 2.4 and 2.5? I've found a hint somewhere in the list archive that
ther exists an 2_4-branch, but trying to check it out results in nearly all
files being removed from my working copy.

Is there any possibility to find out for a cvs repository which branches do
exist? However, a hint in the howto would be great how things are meant to
work for 2.4 and for 2.5. If you send me the infos I'll send a patch :-)

This: http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/ is also terribly outdated (latest
changelog from 2000). And there's no pointer on this page to David's page
at Red Hat, which contains a nice paper about MTD/JFFS.

> I read in an earlier mail that your problem is with compiling the utils
> (all of them or is it just mkfs.jffs ?). Note that you don't necessarily
> need this program, even if you plan on using jffs2. The only utils you
> really need are erase and eraseall.

Don't ask - some dark magic has blown most of the problems away today, I
can compile the tools now.

Robert
 | Dipl.-Ing. Robert Schwebel | http://www.pengutronix.de |
 | Pengutronix - Linux Solutions for Science and Industry |
 |   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany   |
 |    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4    |