Booting from DOC2000 with GRUB loader

Russ Dill Russ.Dill at asu.edu
Wed May 1 16:15:36 EDT 2002

> or nftl_format /dev/mtd0 98304  (bytes)

this one is correct

> I'm nervous about messing this up because since I put grub on the DoC, the
> machine only ever boots from the DoC - completely ignores floppy, scsi disks
> and cdrom.  So if I screw up this nftl_format and trash grub, I'm going to end
> up with an unbootable system ;-(  (OK, I'll just have to pull the DoC chip out
> of the board *again*, but even this gives me the eebies, so tight is the damn
> thing stuck in its socket!  And anyway, if the system is unbootable with the
> DoC chip in there, how am I ever going to reprogram it?)
>
> Help much appreciated!

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR HARDWARE AND BLOW YOU UP
(but it seems to work for me)

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***

I have an ISA card for the DOC2000, I boot up my workstation, carefully
plug in the isacard, modprobe doc2000, insmod docprobe insmod mtdchar
(if necessary) insmod nftl (if necessary). Do whatever I need to do,
rmmod nftl, rmmod docprobe, rmmod doc2000, and remove the card. On my
machine, doing this using the devfsd nodes causes an oops after the
first time, a simple workaround is using hand made device files.