How to Clean bad Grubfirmware off DOC?

Peter Keel seegras at discordia.ch
Fri Jun 28 19:06:05 EDT 2002

* on the Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 05:58:29PM -0400, Mark Meade wrote:
> > - An Empty DOC
> > ??
>
> To clarify, "an empty DoC board" simply means inserting the ISA or PCI eval
> board, without installing the DoC.  Obviously, this would allow you to boot
> without the DoC GRUB taking over, and then you could "hot-plug" the DoC to
> erase it.
>
> Keep in mind that these instructions assume a PC and a M-Sys eval-board.  If
> your system is different, please post the specifics.

Ah, ok. I understand. My DoC is on the mainboard. I'm not even sure
if its socketed or soldered in, haven't checked. The machine is an
IGEL-Terminal, 233Mhz, 32MB Ram, 16MB DoC 2000, Cyrix Media GX.
An older one. I think Its an IGEL-C. From http://www.igel.de
Originally came with linux 2.0.36, libc5 and M-Systems binary-only
driver, no ssh. So I had to fix that ;)) As it turned out, 2.4.18
was the first kernel able to handle the nasty DMA-bug of the
Media GX chipset..

> What version of GRUB did you use, prior to applying the patch?  I'm still
> curious as to why it doesn't recognize your root filesystem.  Are you running
> GRUB on your hard drive?

No. On the Harddisk is lilo. Grub was 0.93 or something. the newest
from cvs plus the newest MTD-patches, plus the Debian-diff, all
neatly patched in, with the rejects ironed out. Compiled with all
the debian-options plus the docchip-2000 option.

Cheers
Peter
--
Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin