JFFS & MTDBLOCK

Chris AtLee catlee at canada.com
Tue Jun 18 11:29:27 EDT 2002

Hi,

Just re-reading the mtd-jffs HOWTO to see if I can glean any additional
information from it and I noticed the paragraphs that read,

"You must use (for all practical purposes that involve writing) JFFS on
raw flash MTD devices. This is because JFFS provides a robust writing
and wear leveling mechanism. See FAQ for more info.

If you only want the file-system to be writable while you're developing,
but will ship the units read-only, it's acceptable to use the MTDBLOCK
device, which performs writes by reading the entire erase block, erasing
it, changing the range of bytes which were written to, and writes it
back to the flash. Obviously that's not something you want happening in
production, but for development it's OK."

I'm not sure that I understand what this means...

Does it mean that for production units where you want the filesystem to
be writeable you should use JFFS on a non-MTDBLOCK device?

Or does it mean that using a filesystem other than JFFS for writing to a
MTDBLOCK device is probably a bad idea?

Thanks,
Chris