point()/unpoint() questions + small cfi_cmdset_0001.c patch

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Mon Jun 17 11:41:06 EDT 2002

Hi again

This will take some time to digest. Here is my initial comments  ... :-)

I am mainly interested in using point() in scan.c to reduce mount time. A quick and dirty hack
to impl. point() gives me better a scan time, from 4.43 sec to 3.53 sec, but this will probably go up
a bit if I do a proper impl. of point().

> Note that using AMD chips instead of Intel chips seems to be particularly
> sensible if you want XIP -- with Intel chips, the whole chip goes into
> status mode when you're doing things with it. Yet I believe that with AMD
> chips, only the block to which you're actually writing returns status bits,
> and all other erase blocks remain readable during the operation.

They do? I have not seen any evidence of this, do you happen to known
any perticular AMD device that does this?