why MTD model ?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jun 15 03:34:13 EDT 2002

hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net said:
> If by top posting you mean sending you mail, David, and then the other
> name, and finally the list, then fine. This one is only to the list.

By top-posting I mean annoying practice of quoting the entire mail and just
typing your own response at the top. It is normal to quote only those parts
of the mail to which you're actually responding, and your response to those
parts immediately below the quoted text.

> And I'm just stating a simple fact. Yes, I agree with you, the FAT
> partition isn't necessary. The cards just came with it. And no the
> UMSDOS method of creating a Linux distribution does not work in the
> 2.4.x series. I don't know why. The folks at Slackware never told me.

UMSDOS was always a bit of an evil hack. When all the core Linux file system
code was overhauled during the 2.3 series, nobody cared enough to update it,
and I believe the new saner core VFS code was more difficult to abuse in the
ways the UMSDOS needed to.

> But I am curious which patches need to be applied within the patch
> directory of your MTD collection to the 2.2.17 kernel to make it work?

Just the inter-module-xxx one, I think.

--
dwmw2