Integrating new MTD/jffs2 into 2.4.18 kernel

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Thu Jul 25 09:14:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, 25 July 2002 07:25:08 -0500, Steven Hein wrote:
> I am running on an ARM platform using the 2.4.18 kernel with 2.4.18-rmk7
> patch.  I'm using the MTD NAND flash support, and I'm having problems
> running a jffs2 filesystem on a NAND flash device  (not a root
> filesystem,
> just a writable "scratch" directory).
>
> Using a snapshot from yesterday, I tried to integrate the jffs2 from
> the snapshot into my kernel.  But there were a few issues:
> - include/linux/crc32.h but expected by the files in fs/jffs2
> - zlib.[ch] were not in the jffs2 dir as they were previously
>
> I tried fixing these, but still ended up missing the zlib_deflate*
> functions.....
>
> So my question is:   is there a place I can grab the MTD/jffs2 stuff
> to drop directly into a 2.4.18-rmk7 kernel?   Or, is there a
> procedure somewhere describing how to integrate the latest MTD
> from CVS (especially jffs2) into the latest 2.4.x kernel?

You might want to take a look at a current -ac kernel. I had the same
problems (and more), merging with a modified 2.4.2 kernel. Basically,
whenever there was something missing, I took a look into the -ac
kernel, modified mine accordingly, and went on to the next problem.

My guess is that you need the zlib stuff in the kernel lib, you should
have linux/lib/zlib_inflate and linux/lib/zlib_deflate in your source
plus some modifications in arch/<yours>/config.in, lib/Makefile and
include/linux/zlib.h. Roughly.

Joern