[ANN] Driver for PCMCIA Flash memory cards

Kenneth Johansson kenneth.johansson at etx.ericsson.se
Tue Jul 2 14:35:49 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 16:11, Simon Evans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written an MTD driver for PCMCIA flash memory cards. These are the
> older type of PCMCIA memory cards (usually 4-16MB in size) NOT Compact Flash
> cards. The driver works by mapping out the cards and providing read/write
> routines then calling the chip probe functions. In this way it just acts
> as a mapping driver and doesnt care about the chips used.

Nice I also did a driver for this but I hardcoded everything so it was
useless for anyone but me(and mostly for me too ).

> It is still quite alpha and should be treated with caution,
> but I have successfully tested it on 2.4.19-rc1,2.4.17(i386) and
> 2.4.17-rmk5(ipaq/arm) with a few different memory cards.
> I have been able to setup jffs2 and transfer files between a laptop and
> Ipaq successfully.

Is arm little endian?? one reason I did not find this so useful for me
was that I have a powerpc target and that is big endian and I could not
use it for jff2 work as the data would not work when moved from a pc to
the target.

> Once the code is more stable I may put it into the MTD CVS, however I'm
> still figuring out some things with PCMCIA initialisation code so it
> is still subject to large rewrites ;)
>
> Anyway, if anyone is interested, it is at: http://si.org/pcmciamtd/
>
> bugs & comments welcome ;)

Nice you parse the CIS data I never got around to do that.
Any thought on partitions as I understand it you only get one region.
Perhaps creating a device node and some ioctl could solve that but It's
maybe not that important.

I'm going to test this out but I'm in the middle of some other work so
it has to wait some time.

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson AB                       Tel: +46 8 404 71 83
164 80 Stockholm                  kenneth.johansson at etx.ericsson.se