optimum geometry

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Jan 21 17:49:33 EST 2002

adam.wozniak at comdev.cc said:
>  I'm beginning to fear that this is far from optimum.  What is an
> optimum erase block size?

As small as possible. The free space required by JFFS2 is measured in
blocks. It could probably be reduced to 2 or 3 blocks from the current 5/6
but will always be a straight multiple of blocksize, I think.

> I could drop back and rewrite the MTD driver to address each chip
> seperately, but I'm concerned that would be both messy and tough on
> performance.

By treating them as two pairs, you'll halve the write performance and also
halve the amount of wasted space. It's a tradeoff which you have to decide
on.

--
dwmw2