From 2.4.9 to CVS ???

Björn Eriksson mdeans at algonet.se
Fri Jan 4 11:40:12 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 11:19:13AM -0500, Patrick Allaire wrote:
> Every thing is compiled fine ... at boot up, MTD find(probe) my flash, it
> printout the partioning it will do ... after that I get
>
> VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory : 36k freed
> Kernel panic: No init found....
>

> I know from the last line that the problems is that the kernel cannot find
> /sbin/init ... but it is there, it is exactly the same cramfs I used on
> 2.4.9 when it was working !!! To be sure it was not corrupted, I redid the
> flashing of the /dev/mtdblock0 with my cramfs file ... with the same
> results.

 Are you sure you're not getting a 'bad cramfs magic' as well? I know I
did when I tried booting a 2.4.9 cramfs-initrd with a 2.4.17 kernel.
Anyways, read fs/cramfs/README:

  <<The disadvantage is that the generated cramfs cannot always be
    shared between different kernels, not even necessarily kernels of
    the same architecture if PAGE_CACHE_SIZE is subject to change
    between kernel versions.>>

--
//Björnen