Cannot mount my NAND device with JFFS2

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Wed Aug 21 15:20:54 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 20:43, Ken Offer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I can erase and test my smart media card NAND driver just fine
> (i.e. eraseall seems to work, nandtest works, mtd0 and mtd1 show
> up in /proc/mtd).  So far so good.  However, when I try to mount
> the device with jffs2 I get:
>  > mount -v -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock1 /mnt/jffs
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mtdblock1,
>         or too many mounted file systems
Have you erased the flash before mount or have you copied stuff to the
flash ?
Can you please turn on JFFS2 debugging  to 1 and send the output ?
make sure that you do
#echo 9 >proc/sys/kernel/printk

> I have:
>
> (a) applied the
> "ftp://ftp.??.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/dwmw2/shared-
> zlib/linux-2.4.19-pre10-shared-zlib.bz2" patch to a 2.4.19
> kernel,
> (b) copied the latest and greatest cvs mtd/jffs2 sources into my kernel,
> (c) made the appropriate changes to "file.c" for Page_uptodate,
???
> (d) made the change for "CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_NAND" to "fs/Config.in",
> (e) made a change to "include/linux/mtd/compatmac.h" to define
> "set_user_nice" (isn't defined for 2.4.19).
looks good.
> My driver is based on the autcpu12 driver in the nand sources.
good choice :)
> I have noticed that there is a "autcpu12-nvram" map driver to
> perform NVRAM mapping.  Is such a mapping device REQUIRED for
> JFFS2 support???  Or is it just for mapping the device to
> address space for other purposes?  The documentation is not
> clear (what's new...)
nvram is Non-Volatile-Ram and used for total different stuff
> Got any ideas?
See above
--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de