No more DoC hotplug on Grub fail [tested & working]

Karim Yaghmour karim at opersys.com
Sun Aug 11 04:00:25 EDT 2002

I modified doc_stage1.S to check whether the user is holding
down the "ctrl" key while booting. If so, then it uses the
BIOS's original bootstrap handler instead of its own. This
avoids having to hotplug the DOC in case you misconfigure it
or if it fails to boot adequately for some other reason.

I had suggested this idea earlier on this list, but I figured
I'd dig up some of my old real-mode witchcraft and get it over
with. I sent a preliminary version of the code earlier, but
now that I tested it out, I know that that version doesn't
work. The version attached with the current e-mail, however,
does work.

The scheme works as described in my earlier emails.

Hopefully this saves some folks some cold sweat (me included).

Karim

P.S.: For some reason, gas 2.9.5 is unable to build my modified
doc_stage1.S in the prescribed 512 bytes. gas 2.12, nevertheless,
works just fine.

                 Karim Yaghmour
               karim at opersys.com
      Embedded and Real-Time Linux Expert