Disk blocks for long periods

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Thu Aug 8 03:23:49 EDT 2002

> joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se said:
> >  Can the JFFS2 layer also use spin_lock() instead of spin_lock_bh()?
> > Shold we try not to disable bottom-halves or does it not matter?
>
> Well, the MTD API documentation (in my head) says that the erase completion
> callback may be called in bottom-half context (i.e. from a timer), which is
> why JFFS2 uses spin_lock_bh().

I noticed that erase_callback() in erase.c useses spin_lock(), not spin_lock_bh().
Should it?

> I suppose we could change that.

I dont understand what using a timer would give us. I suppose that one could have
more the one erase simontainously(one per bank) but that won't give a significant
improvement and erase.c must be made "bank aware" as well.

Unless there is some other advantage, I think you should change the spec.

 Jocke