NAND Configuration

Steve Tsai startec at ms11.hinet.net
Tue Aug 6 06:40:32 EDT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-mtd-admin at lists.infradead.org
[mailto:linux-mtd-admin at lists.infradead.org] On Behalf Of Thomas
Gleixner
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 5:08 PM
To: Steve Tsai
Subject: Re: NAND Configuration

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 09:25, Steve Tsai wrote:
> Does I have to set CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC_JFFS2=y and
> CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_NAND=y to use NAND flash? Weh I set these settings, I
> will get the following easily. If  I did not set these settings and
> the condition is better, still has problem, but it will not halt the
> system. If I need not set CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC_JFFS2=y and
> CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_NAND=y, I can trace my problem easily. I use
> mtd-snapshot-20020731.tar.bz2 with uClinux.
You have to set it. Read http://linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/nand.html

I read it many time, but CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_NAND use to take care buffering
and OOB . Does I have to use it absolutely? If I do not use it, what's
the result of the driver?

> ARGH. About to write node to 0x0018de8c on flash, but there are data
> already the
> re:
> 0x0018de8c: 85 19 04 20 74 01 00 00 4d 62 52 56 ff ff ff ff pid 24:
> failed 256
>
> jffs2_flush_wbuf(): Write failed with -5
> Write of 68 bytes at 0x004da000 failed. returned -5, retlen 0 Not
> marking the space at 0x004da000 as dirty because the flash driver
> returned r etlen zero
We need more info from mount onwards.

Maybe I do not provide repeatable messages and steps. The following are
the steps I use.
1. eraseall /dev/mtd1
2. mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock1 /mnt
3. Make directory to /mnt
4. Use ftp to copy files to /mnt
5. Change the kernel to to mount /dev/mtdblock1 as root FS.
6. Copy or delete files and sometime the message display
	ARGH. About to write node to 0x003f9e2c on flash, but there are
data already the re:...
    After that, the patition will display more error messages, ECC error
and others.

Regards,
Steve tsai