duplicate DoC millenium with dd

Nikolai Vladychevski niko at isl.net.mx
Tue Sep 11 18:20:37 EDT 2001

David Woodhouse writes:

> niko at isl.net.mx said:
>>  yes, this is the problem... right now I'm leaving 1 Meg for the
>> linuxBIOS  and kernel and right now there is left as little as 40 K
>> bytes free space of  that meg.
>
> Use modules?

yes, I do, but it still big, its a 2.4.7

>>  If I update the  software on the chip once a week (it's an automatic
>> update via remote  server), will it survive for 2 years without
>> errors, for example ?
>
> It doesn't degrade over time. Using it the first time may lose the
> bad-block information which is put on it by the NAND flash chip
> manufacturer (Toshiba or Samsung, not M-Systems). After that there's no
> difference.
>
>>  Wow! that sounds cool! I have to try it, but would linuxBIOS conflict
>> with  it?
>
> No, should be fine. You could have it appear as three MTD devices - one for
> LinuxBIOS, one for the kernel, and one for cramfs.

I'm sorry, I can't find any docs about creating partitions, mtd0, mtd1,
mtd2, etc..? list archives dont help either, how it is done?

> Using cramfs directly on the NAND flash gives you no error correction and

but wait a minute, if I enable these options:

   <*> NAND Device support
     [*] Enable ECC correction algorithm
     [*] Verify NAND page writes

won't it help me?

> no facility to work around bad blocks. I wouldn't wan to do it like that in
> production, although in practice it'll work unless you have a chip with bad
> blocks.

well, my environment will be production,so I guess I'm out of luck because
if I take your precautions:

1) I can't use nftl_format
2) I can't use mtd partitioning because I will write directly on the NAND
flash.....

this is kinda bad news.......

nikolai