complete_and_exit() problem

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Sep 4 04:25:09 EDT 2001

jlavi at iki.fi said:
> The garbage collection thread crashes when I unmount JFFS2. The
> filesystem is empry and I only mount it and then unmount it. I am
> using kernel  2.4.8ac12 with rmk1 patch for ARM cpu.

> I traced the exeution to complete_and_exit(), then to complete(), then
> to __wake_up_common(). In __wake_up_common() there is a loop

 <deletia -
  http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2001-September/003117.html >

> I tried replacing
> -       if (comp)
> +	if (comp && comp->wait.task_list.next)
> in complete_and_exit(). I don't know if it is the right way to do it,
> but at least the garbage gollection thread stopped crashing.

Looks like the list_head is uninitialised - we're in complete()
before anything's ever called init_completion().

ISTR this was the reason I bailed out on doing a quick fix for -ac before
disappearing to OLS.

--
dwmw2