Q: Probing for devices > buswidth???

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Oct 9 02:53:40 EDT 2001

ebiederman at lnxi.com said:
>  Just so I understand.  There are chips with a 16-bit interface that
> you can put in a crippled mode such that they pretend use only an 8
> bit bus.  But the id logic is the same as when the are on a 16-bit
> bus?

Basically, yes. They are 16-bit devices, with the A0 line selecting which
16-bit word you should look at - and all the 'magic' addresses must be
placed on the address bus starting at A0. But they decided they wanted to
be able to use them with an 8-bit bus, so they added an 'A-1' address line
too.

> I'm just trying to comprehend this weird situation.

Do yourself a favour - don't. Just accept it. Or do me a favour and take
responsibility for it from now on :)

--
dwmw2