DOC2000 support for a custom PPC750 board

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Nov 5 06:20:58 EST 2001

boris at emcraft.ru said:
>  One more question: from the M-Sys documents I understand there can be
> two types of partitions on a DOC device, binary and NFTL. Binary is
> supposed to store an OS image, and NFTL be used as a filesystem. Are
> there any MTD tools for creating and reading/writing binary DOC
> partitions? Sorry if it sonds silly. I'm not very familiar with DOC
> and MTD.

By 'binary partitions' they presumably mean data stored directly on the
flash chips. NFTL is a kind of pseudo-filesystem which is used to emulate a
block device - you then put normal filesystems on top of that emulated
block device.

Yes, we have programs which will write data to the raw flash. You just open
/dev/mtd0, use the MEMERASE ioctl for the region you want to overwrite
and then write to it. The doc_loadbios program was used for putting Grub in
place of the normal firmware.

--
dwmw2