JFFS2, CF, PCMCIA adapter, ATA

Michael Rothwell rothwell at holly-springs.nc.us
Sun Nov 4 15:59:13 EST 2001

Hi there,

I've been trying to create a jffs2 image on a 16MB compact flash card
today. I've got a pcmcia-to-cf adapter that works well for treating the
CF like a small disk. The unit I'm plugging the flash into is  GCT
Allwell set-top box with a CF clot in the back. The CF hard shows up as
the frist IDE hard disk. Using lilo and ext2, I can boot a kernel with
it. I would rather use jffs2, for a variety of reasons.

How do I create a "loopback" jffs2 filesystem? How do I create a jffs2
filesystem on the CF card using the PCMCIA adapter (so that the CF
filesystem can be booted and mounted on the GCT-Allwell)? The mkfs.jffs2
utility creates a file of the filesystem tree I've created (kernel,
busybox, etc.). ... what next?

I'm using 2.4.13, with mtd and jffs2 compiled in. No devfs.

If there's documentation I should be reading, please point me at it.
I've spent a good part of the day with google and the cvs sources for
'mtd'.

Thanks,

Michael