MTD on a Motorola MPCN765 ? (32 bit linux and 64 bit flash)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon May 21 21:16:20 EDT 2001

Jan.Rovins at radisys.com said:
> But the recommendations I was given assume I am running Linux in 64
> bit mode,  which I am not. My longs are still 32 bit,
>  and I can now read the flash through MTD, but can't yet form commands
> to write and erase the upper two 16 bit flash devices. (To access
> those upper two devices I would have to add 0x04 to the unlock1,&2
> addresses) When using interleaved chips, are the commands always given
> to the whole bank simultaneously? Could I fake a 64 bit write by doing
> two 32 bit writes? Basically I will be reading & writing flash as a 32
> bit machine would, but faking up 64 bit commands.  Would this work?

That should work.

But if you're doing that, why not just pretend that you have two entirely
separate chip mappings, with two entirely independent pairs of 16-bit chips
in them? Then you don't need to muck about with the 64-bit flash command
stuff. You just need to be aware that your bootloader will probably then be
split between the first erase block of each device. But that's easy enough
to deal with.

--
dwmw2