DOC problems on PowerPC

Ollie Lho ollie at sis.com.tw
Tue May 15 20:34:06 EDT 2001

Felix Radensky wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I was able to solve the DOC problems on PowerPC I've reported yesterday.
>
> All I had to do is to run "eraseall /dev/mtd0", then run "nftl_format
> /dev/mtd0"
> and  then create partitions with fdisk.
>
> Can someone please explain me the difference between eraseall and
> nftl_format.
> HOWTO says nothing about it.

For flash devices either NOR type or NAND type. You can only turn
each bits for 1 state to 0 by a "write" command. If you want to
turn a bit from 0 to 1, you have to erase the device. Each device
has its onw minimal erase size i.e. if you want to erase onely 1 byte
in a erase region, you have to erase the whole erase region.

The nftl_format is used somewht like "low-level" format for old
HDs.

Ollie