Block device as MTD

Simon Evans spse at secret.org.uk
Wed Jun 27 18:03:14 EDT 2001

Hi,

Basically it wont work. blkmtd isnt actually a driver more a translation
layer. If you want to talk to CF cards directly, you'll have to write an
MTD driver for it. I dont know much about CF cards as I have always used
them as IDE drives, but you may want to look at the PCMCIA utils memory_cs
driver. I think CF cards can appear as regular PCMCIA flash memory cards
until a bit is enabled that puts them into IDE mode.

I tried a test once using the memory_cs driver on a CF and whilst it
gave me some memory regions, they werent the correct size. Basically,
you'll have to do some hacking around on the driver to get it to work
but I dont know where to find specs for CF cards.

the PCMCIA stuff is at http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/

My next project is to write an MTD driver for PCMCIA flash cards
(not CF) and if I get that working, im going to try and have a go at
CF after that.

cheers
si