DOC Millenium not found by docprobe

M Butcher mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Fri Jun 22 18:39:49 EDT 2001

On Thursday 21 June 2001 05:15 pm, David Woodhouse wrote:
> mbutcher at aleph-null.tv said:
> > But I wanted to create a single partition, so I followed the steps in
> > the  jffs howto and did the following:
> > (0: sometimes do an 'erase')
> > 1: nftl_format /dev/mtd0
> > 2: fdisk /dev/nftla (make one big partition)
>
> You didn't need step 1. We definitely shouldn't be encouraging people to do
> that. Just using fdisk to change the partitioning would have been enough.

So I should really only nftl_format when the DOC is hosed?

> > 3: mke2fs /dev/nftla
>
> Is this a typo? Having made a partition you then erased it by using mkfs on
> the _whole_ device rather than the single partition. That's fine if it's
> what you wanted... but...

That should have been mke2fs /dev/nftla1

The intent was to make the fs on the partition...

> > 4: mount -t ext2 /dev/nftla1 /mnt
>
> I'm amazed this worked.

Well... had I typed #3 correctly, you probably wouldn't be as amazed. ;-)

> mbutcher at aleph-null.tv said:
> >  When I used the Millenium Only driver, I got an error from docprobe
> > saying  something like "no driver", though I could see it with lsmod.
>
> To use that, you need to undef DOC_SINGLE_DRIVER in docprobe.c

Oh, yeah... that's even in the doc. Sorry. Which driver would you recommend
in this situation? The Millenium-only?

Also, any ideas why the DOC "disappears" after a while -- e.g. why, after
doing the above process a few times, the DOC is no longer detected?

Thanks,

Matt