use of low level driver

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jun 19 04:40:15 EDT 2001

xde at inventel.fr said:
>  But, if I want to call do_map_probe("cfi" or "cfi_intel",...), I need
> to have registered the corresponding mtd chip driver. But when it is
> part of the kernel (not a module), "mod_init_t cfi_intelext_init(void)"
>  is not called in kernel initialisation ? (correct?)

The Intel command set code is a back end only. It doesn't have any code for
probing the chips, and should be invoked only from a driver which can do
so. At the moment, the only driver which can do that is the CFI probe. If
you want to use the cfi_cmdset_0001 code with non-CFI chips, you need to
write your own probe code which will identify the chip, set up a dummy cfi
structure, and swap the chip driver operations with the cfi_cmdset_0001
back end as the cfi_probe code does.

--
dwmw2