root jffs2

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Wed Jun 13 19:08:36 EDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Vipin Malik wrote:

> In other words, there would be bits in that sector that would "flip" from 1 to 0 or
> from 0 to 1. There is no way to detect
> these by reading the sector.
>
> Sometimes you can read the sector 2 times and read 0xff all the way through. Then
> on the 3rd read a few bits may come back as "0"!
>
> The only reliable solution is an algorithmic one. I first saw it suggested by Alan
> Cox. It goes as follows:

[...]

OK. Remember that discussion.  I just never caught the very reason why in
the first place.

So I reverted the queueing of empty blocks for erasing, while still counting
them.  If the whole flash is empty then mounting JFFS2 is still allowed and
the whole flash will be re-erased to be on the safe side.

Nicolas