root jffs2

Vipin Malik vipin.malik at daniel.com
Wed Jun 13 16:58:22 EDT 2001

> Just committed a patch to allow mounting JFFS2 on entirely empty (erased)
> flash.  It should speed up the mount of partially erased partitions as well
> since the empty blocks aren't erased unnecessarily anymore.

I hope you have accounted for "flipping bits" (TM Vipin Malik) sectors.
That's why the start of erase-sector signature was introduced in the first
place.

If a sector does not have the signature it *must be erased* even if you read
0xff from
all locations in the sector. Just writing the signature is not enough.

And of course, this signature must be invalidated before going in to erase the
sector so that
if power fails in the middle of the erase, the sector ends up being erased on
the next mount.

If you don't do this, "flipping bits" will come up behind you and nip you in
the bud :)

Vipin