partitioning bug

Abraham vd Merwe abraham at 2d3d.co.za
Mon Jun 11 08:29:13 EDT 2001

Hi Erik!

> > I've written a chip driver which works great until I use partitioning
> > support. If I do that, and I do a MEMGETINFO ioctl() on the first partition
> > (/dev/mtd0) I get the following fault as soon as I try and access the
> > returned mtd_info_user structure:
>
> [snip]
>
> > So what I don't get is why it crashes. I mean, all that happens during that
> > ioctl() is the mtd_info structure gets sent to the user process - no magic
> > there that can cause the process to crash.
>
> Try to look up in the System.map file which functions are called, so
> you'll get a clue what's going on (the addresses between [] are
> important).

That's the problem, the addresses that do show up is useless:

------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep ca00538c /proc/ksyms
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep c003fb0c /proc/ksyms
c003fb0c fput
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep c003e9c0 /proc/ksyms
c003e9c0 filp_close
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep c003ea4c /proc/ksyms
c003ea4c sys_close
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep ca0022e8 /proc/ksyms
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep c003fb8c /proc/ksyms
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep c003ea40 /proc/ksyms
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep c003ead8 /proc/ksyms
root at tinystor:/mnt# grep c0012680 /proc/ksyms
------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------

Same for System.map

I can't get any references to calls in my module or the mtdpart module which
is obviously where things go wrong ):

I've even removed the static declarations in my module so that the functions
can show up in /proc/ksyms but nothing. I don't think there's a bug in my
module anyhow since it works perfectly without partitioning support.

I'm including my module source. Maybe you can spot something that I'm doing
wrong.

--

Regards
 Abraham

Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.

 Abraham vd Merwe - 2d3D, Inc.

 Device Driver Development, Outsourcing, Embedded Systems

  Cell: +27 82 565 4451         Snailmail:
   Tel: +27 21 761 7549            Block C, Antree Park
   Fax: +27 21 761 7648            Doncaster Road
 Email: abraham at 2d3d.co.za         Kenilworth, 7700
  Http: http://www.2d3d.com        South Africa