Ask for some guidance...

Vipin Malik vipin.malik at daniel.com
Wed Jul 25 16:53:32 EDT 2001

> > What BIOS is it using? I know that General Software's Embedded BIOS
> > supports that functionality.
>
> Do you know the format used?

Nope-sorry! Though GSW may be willing to share that info (if it is that).

> For booting, compatibility with the existing BIOS extension is useful.

Actually, for a x86 solution, most of these BIOS int 13 extensions can detect and
load a "floppy boot sector" format from resident flash disk (I think so, unless
I've lost my mind- which is quite a possibility :)

One can then use rolo (see web site www.embeddedlinuxworks.com under "ROLO: A
developers guide") to load a bzImage kernel into ram and boot it. The kernel can
then just detect the flash as MTD and mount JFFS2 on it.

You really don't even need the BIOS if you don't need thinks like video etc. in
your system- but having a BIOS makes life a bit easy- you don't have to figure out
chipset/peripheral initializations etc.

Vipin