[Re: [structure field names] ]

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jul 21 08:01:26 EDT 2001

ebrower at usa.net said:
>   In the case of the MEMREADOOB and MEMWRITEOOB ioctls, we still must
> do conversions so that the u8* is understood by the kernel to be a
> 32-bit userspace pointer and not a 64-bit kernelspace pointer.

I don't like the MEMREADOOB and MEMWRITEOOB ioctls very much. I'm severely
tempted to deprecate them and have a separate device for OOB space access.
Does anyone ever actually use the /dev/mtdr<n> read-only devices?

>  I only brought this up because if the structure member names are
> modified, they must be modified in the sparc64 patch as well.  This
> is, unfortunately, a required headache.

I am sympathetic to Tim's request, but at this stage I think the pain of
changing names probably outweighs the benefit.

--
dwmw2