module names in request_module()

Tim Hockin thockin at sun.com
Fri Jul 13 14:15:22 EDT 2001

David Woodhouse wrote:

> thockin at sun.com said:
> >  if I depmod a module that needs cfi and cfi_probe is not loaded,
> > request_module fails, because it is looking for the module named "cfi"
> > not "cfi_probe".
>
> Does v1.9 of chipreg.c fix it correctly?

only for cfi

the problem is that the module name is not predictable from the "probe"
name.

cfi -> cfi_probe.o
jedec -> jedec.o
ram -> map_ram.o
rom -> map_rom.o
amd_flash -> amd_flash.o

there is no way to have that knowledge a priori with modules.

So we have three options:
	1) rename files to match their probe names
	2) rename probe names to match module names
	3) use modules.conf to give external fixes for internal flaws

I'm leaning towards #2.  Comments?

--
Tim Hockin
Systems Software Engineer