Errors with M-Systems' DOC v MD2200 D16 and ext2

Vipin Malik vmalik at danielind.com
Mon Feb 12 11:24:23 EST 2001

David,

I got something similar. I'm (I think) using the latest versions from CVS
(nftl.c is ver. 1.66 and
nftlmount.c is ver. 1.12). I just did a cvs update and no new versions came
down.

Here is my situation:

 I have a DOC2000 32MB w/ 0x4000 (16k) erase size.
   This causes nftl_format to bail out as it explicitely checks for an erase
size of 0x2000 (8k) before it does anything.
Since not having much to loose, I removed that check and went ahead and
formatted the disk anyway. It did not complain.
I could then modprobe in docprobe (After removing the module after the
format). This time, it detected AND installed the NFTL device under
/dev/nftla.
   I could then fdisk it and create a partition on it, create a fs on (ext2
with mke2fs) and mount it.

   My question is: Why was the explicit check being done? Are there any traps
"lurking" for me now that I have removed the check and formatted my disk with
nftl_format?

   While copying data to the disk (cp -a /bin /mnt/doc2000 etc.) I would get
the data to copy, but after a few seconds (I guess when the cache is flushed
to disk) I would get a bunch of ext2-fs errors like:

end_request: I/O error, dev 5d:01 (unknown) sector 28
EXT2-fs error (device nftl(93,1)): ext2_write_inode: unable to read inode
block - inode=73, block=14
repeat above for inodes 74...80 rest of error same (same sector (28), block
=14).

I then unmounted the fs and did an e2fsck on /dev/nftl1

I then got error messages regarding short reads reading block 14 (on sector
28). Same problem as above.

Is this related to the format kludge that I did or something else?

Thanks

Vipin

Vipin Malik
Sr. Design Engr.