JFFS2 is broken

Vipin Malik vipin at embeddedlinuxworks.com
Thu Aug 9 18:36:20 EDT 2001

Yes,

As it stands right now, a task (not reading/writing to JFFS2) marked POSIX
real time (via the set_sched(2) calls), is blocked for ~50ms on my 133MHz
486 DX4 while another _non posix_ task is writing to JFFS2.

The blocking time is highly processor performance dependent.

However, any task writing to JFFS2 _can_ be blocked upto 10's of seconds
(in my test case >40 seconds).
This happens when there is no more free space left on the JFFS2 fs and
garbage collect needs to be done to make space for the write.

If a POSIX task is writing to JFFS2, then that AND ALL OTHER tasks will get
blocked as the POSIX task has priority and the GC is done in the context of
the writing task.

So the moral of the story is that at the very least do not write to JFFS2
from a POSIX real time task under Linux.

I really haven't done any tests re. blocking times of a _regular_ task not
writing to JFFS2, when there is another _regular_ task writing to JFFS2.

That should be easy to setup and run with my jitter test program. At this
time I haven't released that program under GPL, but I have permission from
my company to release it, so if anyone wants it just ask and I'll send it
to you/put it in th mtd CVS rep.

Re. why it takes that long for GC to happen on a full JFFS2 fs? David had
some thoughts that a particular singly linked list should be doubly linked-
which would help quite a lot. David?

Vipin
P.S. There's been lots of traffic on the MTD list. Are you referring to the
JFFS list?