Power blackouts and brownouts

Chris Read chris.read at activesilicon.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 09:06:56 EDT 2001

Does anyone know what actually happens to a flash chip when the power
starts to fail during an erase or a write cycle? We are all trying to write
code which can recover when abruptly halted at any point, but can all the
devices which we are using claim the same?

I have noticed that several flash devices have a power on reset line; most
however do not. Whilst I appreciate that flash devices are not fully static
like SRAM or EPROM, and therefore must have some way of initialising in a
known state at power up; most devices appear to not need this external
signal. My hypothesis is therefore that this line may be more for abruptly
stopping any internal state machine during the first stages of a brown-out
whilst there is still sufficient power available to do so.

Any thoughts?

Chris Read