partitions and erase regions

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Apr 24 13:41:10 EDT 2001

kd at flaga.is said:
> It sounds reasonable to me. Although I have a problem with the "major"
> erazesize in general. The erase regions are in the flash for a reason,
> i.e. the chip is not of one "major" erase size but of many erase
> sizes, although most of it (untill now, who knows what AMD, Intel and
> others might do in the future 8-)) is of one erase size.

I have a strong suspicion that we'll never see chips without a 'major'
erasesize. Making all clients (such as JFFS2) deal with variable erase
sizes is possible, but IMHO suboptimal. If we can avoid that complexity, it
would be nice.

Perhaps, however, we should provide a way for clients which _do_ know about
variable erase regions to write to partitions which don't have a 'major'
erasesize.

--
dwmw2