Axis log based flash filesystem ported to 2.3 and MTD

Scott Anderson sanders at mvista.com
Mon Mar 27 09:39:10 EST 2000

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> While i haven't read the M-systems patent I think the Axis fs doesn't
> violate it, because it uses no translation array. It is a fully
> log-structured filesystem directly on the flash memory, and not a flash to
> block device translator.

Let me give a bit more background.  I have *not* looked at Axis' filesystem
so my "guesses" should not be viewed as authoritative.  Figuring out the
patent implications was something that I hadn't yet gotten around to yet.

Thanks to Alexander, I may not have to.  I'm under the impression that Axis'
file system implements wear-leveling, so if there isn't an FTL, then the
file system itself must rotate through free blocks to prevent a given sector
from being worn out.  Is this correct?  If not, would you mind educating me?

Thanks!

    Scott Anderson
    scott_anderson at mvista.com	MontaVista Software Inc.
    (408)328-9214		490 Potrero Ave.