using MTD with 2.2.14

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jun 30 03:47:50 EDT 2000

kayemmess at yahoo.ca said:
> Our group has a target board consisting of an ARM processor and Intel
> Strataflash with an embedded Linux OS running kernel 2.2.14.

I also have a target board consisting of an ARM processor and Intel
Strataflash with an embedded Linux OS running kernel 2.2.14.

> ...should switch to 2.2.16.  Currently this ins't possible for our
> project, so will MTD (JFFS) work properly for me with 2.2.14?

I'd be surprised if it doesn't - my current code isn't being tested on
anything _but_ 2.2.14/StrongARM.

>  If I apply 'mtd-patch-2.2.16', I can enable these with 'make
> oldconfig', but am I not supposed to use this patch since it is for
> 2.2.16?

That's fine - you can use that and it _should_ apply cleanly.

> undefined reference to `put_module_symbol'

> But these functions are in the 2.2.16 patch, aren't
> they?  What am I doing wrong?

They're definitely in the patch. Did it fail to apply them for some reason?

The {get,put}_module_symbol() patch is also available separately as
mtd/patches/put_module_symbol-2.2.1x.patch. Try applying that and see what
happens.

It's easy enough to do it by hand. Add __MOD_INC_USE_COUNT(mp) in the right
place in the existing get_module_symbol() routine, and add the new
put_module_symbol() routine from the patch. Then add the prototype to
module.h and an export entry to ksyms.c

--
dwmw2