JFFS - ready for submission into 2.[34]?

Finn Hakansson finn.hakansson at axis.com
Fri Jun 2 05:00:41 EDT 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>

> > alex at cendio.se said:
> > > Possibly. But i suppose the real reason is that the current way would
> > > be the way you normally use it in embedded systems (like those axis
> > > are doing). You generate your root fs on the build machine, create a
> > > jffs image and download it into the flash memory of the target system.
> >
> > Yeah, but it's still not imperative to create the image in one go from mkfs.
> Actually I'm not sure jffs needs a special mkfs at all. An empty flash
> should work just as well. It will just creates a root node at mount time.

That's correct. One feature of JFFS is that one can mount a totally empty
device. The root node can thus be missing.

> [...]

> > Either way - once we get it working on NAND flash, and having to map round
> > bad blocks, we're going to have difficulties with just dumping an image on
> > to the flash anyway.
>
> Well. The bad block remapping can certainly be problematic since the
> journal won't be linear anymore. I suppose the lower layer mtd driver does
> the remapping automatically?

I don't see why there should be more difficulties with NAND flashes. The
dumping of a file system image could be done in the same way as before and
besides, the bad block detection mechanism should be implemented for NOR
flashes as well. A bad-sector tracking mechanism is on our TODO list.

/Finn